Friday, September 25, 2009

All Creatures Great and Small... They Are All Creatures of Habit

I hear it said all the time that people are creatures of habit, and that is true. We're not the only ones though. I saw a perfect example of this yesterday. First the "players." Cubbie is our almost three year old (in December) German Shepherd/Rottweiler mix. He seems almost small to me most of the time (for a shepherd that is), but most people think he is huge. Tony is an average-sized orange semi-long-haired tabby cat who will be two years old in February.

Cubbie, Tony, and I have developed a fairly regular routine on most days. I put Cubbie on his leash and we go out to check the mail. Tony trots alongside Cubbie out to the mailbox, then as we slowly walk back to the house (stopping for a doggie potty break or just to sniff and dawdle) Tony runs in front of Cubbie, through his legs, and over to me for a scratch on the head.

Yesterday, without even thinking about it, I threw the routine off, and it was Tony who reminded me of it. It was too early for the mail, so Cubbie and I walked around to the back of the house to turn the water on. Tony didn't see where we went. As I was turning the water on I heard Tony. He was out by the mailbox, meowing and looking for Cubbie and me! I called to him, and at first he couldn't see me. I called to him again, and as soon as he saw us he ran back to join us.

Being a creature of habit, as we all are, when he couldn't find us Tony went to the place he knew we always go.

No comments:

Post a Comment