Thursday, April 9, 2009

Seeing Myself in My Daughter

A friend and I were talking tonight about parents and children being alike. I was reminded of an incident years ago with my daughter Nancy. Just a tiny thing, on the surface, but it had a terrific impact on me.

When Nancy was around three or four years old, we were driving through town. I can't even remember what it was that Nancy said or did (I think it was the way she was saying something), but I remember it irritated me. Finally I asked, "Where did you get that?"--meaning, where did she get that mannerism. Almost as soon as it was out of my mouth, it hit me like a two-by-four to the back of the head. She got it from me. That irritating thing that she was doing was something I did.

Your kids really do learn from observing you. Hopefully they are picking up more good than bad.

1 comment:

  1. How true. Being the friend you were talking to, I really appreciate this honesty. It helps my situation a lot.

    ReplyDelete