Tuesday, May 26, 2009

On the Road Again

I often wake up with either a song or a saying in my head. Today I woke up with the saying, "On the road to recovery" rattling around in my brain. It got me to thinking about our wanderlust and our longing to travel. Through the ages people have had a fascination with travel. Even people who have never traveled away from home use sayings related to travel.

We have many sayings about "the road," such as the one I have already mentioned. Others I have thought of are, "Take the high road," "The road to hell is paved with good intentions," The road less traveled," and "fork in the road." People even sing about the road. Ray Charles sang, "Hit the Road Jack," and Willie Nelson gave me the title for today's blog, "On the Road Again."

All of this led me to do a search for sayings about "the road," and I discovered a very interesting, and oh so true, quote by Rosalie Graham. She said, "A road twice travelled is never as long." How many times have you driven somewhere and it seemed so far away, yet each time you take that same trip it seems shorter and shorter?

The same idea holds true in our figurative and spiritual travels as well. When we travel down paths we know we should not take, it seems shorter and easier each time. The decision to cheat (in any way) for instance, is often a hard one to make. The more someone cheats, however, the easier it becomes to follow that road.

The good news is that the same holds true of the road we should be taking. The more you do the right things, the easier they become.

When we are headed down the road to destruction, it is good to remember another saying that I have heard many times. God allows U-Turns. So, if you are taking the wrong road, just make a U-Turn and head the right way. And don't forget to check out the scenery!

No comments:

Post a Comment