Sunday, May 10, 2009

Why I Lie More at Church than Anywhere Else

I know a few people who will lie to you at the drop of a hat. Some will lie even when the truth will serve them better. I detest lying, and I really do my best to always tell the truth. I almost always tell the truth. Except, that is, at church. Lately I have been telling lies almost every time I go to church.

It is always the same lie, and that lie is always in response to the same question. What is that question? "How are you today?" The lie? "I'm okay," or "We're okay."

We're really not all that okay right now. So to say we are is a lie.

On the other hand, compared to many people, even though we are at a very low point (no jobs, low on food, owing thousands of dollars), we do have our health (not perfect health, but not bad). We do have food to eat, even if it doesn't include meat and it is a little boring at times. We have a roof over our heads and a comfortable bed. I have a spouse who loves me with all his heart, and he has the same in me.

So is it really a lie to say, "We're okay?" I can't remember the Bible verse or verses, but it says somewhere in the Bible that we are to pray believing. We are to thank God for the answer to our prayers even before He has answered. I firmly believe that. I have total faith that things will turn around for us very soon. I believe God has a plan for us. I hold fast to Jeremiah 29:11: "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."

With this in mind, I don't mind saying we are okay, even though we may not be totally okay. Things are okay in some ways, and they will get better.

We're okay.

2 comments:

  1. Yes I agree with you, I always consider myself happy. I especially consider myself happy because may be I am not rich but comparing with other Indian ladies I have enough freedom to make my own decisions.

    i don't like golden cage.

    ReplyDelete